Tuesday, January 31, 2012

spinach garlic whole wheat pasta

I've been watching my calories for the last few weeks, using a great app (myfitnesspal) and paying attention to my eating habits. I've learned a LOT. I am feeling better, too.

I've had friends ask me why I'm doing this, "you look great, you don't need to lose weight, why?" The answer is that I just plain didn't feel good. I didn't feel hungry at mealtimes (nothing sounded good to me), and between meals I was constantly snacking.

My wonderful husband gave me a tablet for Christmas, and while perusing apps for it, I ran across the myfitnesspal app. I installed it on a whim. Turns out God leads us even in our whims. This has answered my prayer for Him to help me discover what was going on with me.


Sooooooo, here's what I had for dinner last night: Chicken Parmesan (made with a Tyson Chicken Tenderloin), and the following pasta dish that I created (total = 505 calories). This dish has all the things I was in the mood for last night! It's not spicy, so you may wish to add spices or extra salt & pepper. Kids & husband really liked it - bonus!


spinach garlic whole wheat pasta


2 cups (dry) whole wheat rotini
3 Tbsp. olive oil
5-6 garlic cloves (minced or pressed)
1 thin slice of onion, finely chopped
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups chopped fresh spinach
toasted pine nuts (optional)

Bring water to boil in medium pot & cook rotini according to package directions.

While pasta is boiling, in a large skillet warm the olive oil on a low temperature with the garlic and onion. The point is to impart flavor into the oil, not to cook the garlic & onion quickly. About 2 minutes before the pasta will be finished, turn the heat up to medium, to turn the garlic & onion golden.

Drain the pasta, add the the olive oil, and toss in the spinach. Keep the heat on medium, and stir for 1-2 minutes until everything is mixed and warmed through.

Serve onto plates, add 1 teaspoon pine nuts on top of each serving.

1 comment:

nic said...

wow, this looks amazing. i've never made anything with pine nuts, but i've been hankering to try them. i have it in my head that they will taste like a christmas tree smells, but this is probably just me being weird.

:) have a beautiful weekend, sweets!